Salamander expert Kirsten Hecht—also known as Kirsten “Hechtbender,” for reasons that will become clear—gave Macken a call tonight to talk about salamanders and other topics. The conversation was light & fun, we heard a few stories, learned a bit of history, and found out a lot about animals.
Macken had several questions for her tonight, including:
- Why are they called hellbenders?
- Can all salamanders regenerate limbs?
- How do salamanders regenerate limbs?
- Why do amphibians go through a tadpole stage?
- Why don’t mudpuppies and axolotls grow up?
- How do you balance being a mom with being a scientist?
Macken and Kristen ended up covering some tangential topics, from the history of dragons in China to the joys of Halloween. Everyone can find something to enjoy!